Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Heartache

I don't know if any of you have been watching the news this morning, but there is a little girl from our ward that is missing. We first heard at about 9:15 last night. The phone rang and someone knocked on the door simultaneously (I was a little annoyed at first; my baby had just gone down). The phone call was an automated message from South Salt Lake about the missing girl and the Elders Quorum president was at the door with a flier. The little girl and her family are refugees from Burma/Myanmar; they've been here since about November. They speak little, if any, English. I just can't even imagine the heartache her poor family is experiencing, especially her mother. (She had a baby just a couple of weeks before we did.) Can you imagine going through the experience of having your child missing in a strange country and not being able to communicate or understand all of the commotion? I've been thinking about them since we heard last night. Maybe its because I have a little one of my own now or maybe its because I know the little girl and her family, but this is really getting to me. I didn't even mind being woken up be the police helicopter as it landed at the church behind our apartment (the church has become the headquarters for the search). I can tell you I was much more attentive to Little Man during his late night feedings. I jumped right out of bed when I heard him whimper and held and cuddled him a lot longer than normal when he was done eating. Its also more than a little disconcerting that there might possibly be a child abductor in our neighborhood. I really hope that she just wandered to a friends house or something and will show up soon. Please keep her and her family in your prayers.

Here's a link to the KSL story about the missing girl: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2981916

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I can't believe this little girl is in your ward - I'm so sorry about the outcome of the story. It's been on my mind very heavily, as I'm sure it has been on yours. I feel so bad for this family - is there anything they we can do for them?