Monday, July 14, 2008

St. George and Lots of Poop

We took our first family trip with Little Man this weekend. We drove down to St. George on Friday. I have to admit that it wasn't that fun. Not that Little Man wasn't a complete angel. In the whole three days, the only time he cried was yesterday when he got startled awake. Even though he didn't get his normal naps and spent most of the weekend in his car seat, he was happy and pleasant the whole time. But even though he was super good, there just isn't that much to do in St. George in the middle of July with a baby. We went to the outlets on Saturday afternoon, then drove to Mesquite to eat at one of the buffets. We planned on getting there right at 4 when it opened, since we hadn't had lunch. We got there about 3:30, so the guys went and bowled a game while we waited. We went back to the buffet at 4, and it still wasn't open. Greg peeked his head in to see what was going on, and then we realized the time changes when you cross the border into Nevada. So we drove around Mesquite for awhile, and ended up hanging out at the Family Dollar for about half an hour. Wa-hoo! We went back to the condo when we were done eating and James, Greg, and Amy went down to the pool while I put Little Man down for a nap. They returned quickly, though, because the pool had been closed because it was getting stormy. So we ended up playing cards for a little while then going to bed. Good times.

The most exciting part of the trip happened yesterday while we were packing up to go home. I was changing Little Man on the couch at the condo. It had been almost three days since he'd pooped (too much info?) so I was poking his tummy, trying to feel if it was hard and bloated. He seemed ok, then all of a sudden, I heard a gurgling noise. I looked down just in time to see "the eruption," as James is calling it. Poop was oozing all over the couch. The couch that didn't belong to us. The couch that someone else would have to sit on later that day. Yuck. I kind of flipped out and James started gagging. We got most of it cleaned up but I really feel bad for any future occupants of that condo.

We did take a detour on the way home through Zion's Park yesterday. We went on the Overlook Trail and it was really wonderful. It was overcast, with a slight breeze. It was actually cooler down there than it was here at home. Our short detour ended up making our trip an extra 3 -4 hours long. I don't want to ride in the car for a long, long, time.

Little Man's streak of being good is definately over. As if he's getting us back for neglecting him all weekend, he's been a complete stinker all day. He's only taken two 20 minute naps all day, and had a huge blowout while I was rocking him. He's tired, and ornery, and cries every time I put him down. It's been a rough day.


Little Man in his car seat Friday night.

One advantage of the long car ride was the quality time James and Little Man got to spend together. Here they are talking and laughing.

James and Greg playing checkers while we waited for our breakfast at the Cracker Barrel. Little Man playing at the condo.

Since the pool was closed, James and Greg played basketball. Notice the flip-flops. Hiking in Zion would have been much more fun (and safe) if I hadn't been wearing a skirt and flip-flops.
The blow-out. Notice how the poop goes all the way up to his shoulder blades.

Don't let that cherubic face fool you. He's a stinker.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm glad you got to get out of town, and that your sweet little man cooperated, but I have to say, I don't think I'd choose St. George in the summer. And please explain how he can have had so much poop, and kept his bum clean? Now that's talent!

Nikki and Kade said...

I can't believe how very big he's getting. I'm glad that he was a good baby for you while his schedule was different. You are such blessed parents.

tiffrsmith said...

The bum picture was taken after I'd cleaned up most of the mess. I rolled him over to take his onesie off and was astonished at how high up the poop actually had gone. I wanted to show James, mostly so I could prove how bad the day had been, but decided to share it with all of you lovely people, too. Aren't I thoughtful?