Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Eventful Week

Its only Wednesday and already its been a long, eventful week. Let's begin.

Monday. The day starts pretty normally (besides the fact that my normal parking spot at work had been painted red over the weekend-- that was annoying). I dropped Little Man off at day care like I alway do, but they called me at 8 to come nurse him, which is a little early. I went down and fed him and rocked him to sleep, then continued with my normal-so-far day. At lunch, I had an extra minute or two, so I snuck back down to the daycare to steal a snuggle. Little Man had apparently woken up fairly quickly after I had put him down and had been a little fussy, so they put him in the swing, where he's been peacefully sleeping for the last couple of hours. No problem. I took him out of the swing and cuddled him for a minute. He stirred a little, but the bell rang before he woke up all the way, so I put him back in the swing, figuring I'd leave him there while the workers fed all of the big kids. I returned to the day care at about 3, which is a little later than normal. Little Man was awake, and was just hanging out with one the the workers. Since he seemed content, I started gathering our things before I grabbed him to go eat. I was putting the milk I pumped at lunchtime away and I noticed that the bottled I'd left for the day was still there. Yes, that's right. My little, helpless baby had not been fed ALL DAY! He had been left to sleep in the swing for almost 7 hours. Somebody had written down that I had nursed him at noon. Whether they thought I fed him when I checked on him at lunch or had him confused with another baby I'm not sure. They finally thought that he might need his diaper changed sometime after 2:30 and, since he didn't seem fussy, they didn't even think that he might need fed. My theory is that his blood sugar had dropped so low by that point that he didn't even have the strength to be fussy. I was very upset. My inner Mama Bear started growling, but somehow, I was actually pretty nice about it. I mentioned what had happened to the lady that's in charge the next day (she'd been gone on Monday) and she was very apologetic and, besides not being fed, felt really bad that he didn't get played with or talked to all day. I think he's been getting a little extra attention since.

Tuesday. No drama, only exciting stuff. We were playing with Little Man, getting him to smile, and I think he laughed! He made this little giggle-like noise, and James and I just looked at each other with big wide eyes. If it wasn't a giggle, it was close. He'll be giving up big belly laughs in no time, I think. Then, after the bath last night, I laid him on the bed for some tummy time. He was doing really well, lifting his head up and turning it side to side. Then I noticed that he was wiggling and shifting his weight like he was trying to roll over. I yelled for James and we watched him struggle for a minute, then all of a sudden, he was on his back! My baby rolled over! Now I'm convinced that he's advanced, because he seems to be doing everything earlier than The Book says he should.

There really isn't anything to report about today. I'm just exhausted and Little Man wouldn't take his nap this evening. Totally normal stuff. More updates later.

1 comment:

Bryanna Johnson said...

That's sad they didn't feed your baby all day!