Sunday, December 23, 2012

Things I've Learned

I can't believe how quickly the days are flying by. Baby (who still doesn't have a nickname; we're working on it) is 9 days old today. How can that be possible? We've been so busy with Dr's appointments and getting ready for Christmas and having visitors. Hopefully things slow down for us soon...

I feel like I've learned lots of things in the last nine days. In no particular order...

1. Baby does not like to be messed with.

He cries more than D did, but still not a lot. He especially hates it when you dress or undress him, change his bum, and bathe him. And he cries when he's tired. D never did that.

2. It's easier adjusting to having two kids than it was adjusting to having one kid.

Even though it's been nearly five years since D was born, I feel like I'm an old pro at this. Easy peasy.

3. Recovering from having a second baby is easier that recovering from the first baby.

I remember sitting on the couch for about two weeks after D was born. This time, I was out running errands three days after giving birth. I just don't have time to sit around. And I think getting up and being active has actually helped me bounce back more quickly. Of course, it probably also helps that I'm sleeping better this time around.

4. Nursing is way easier the second time.

I was in total agony for at least the first 10 days of nursing D. This time, it never got too painful and I already feel "normal," or as normal as you ever feel while nursing. 

5. Those bonding hormones are some powerful stuff.

I've already forgotten about how sick, uncomfortable, and tired I was for nine months and how painful labor is. I'm good at making babies, and I want more. Hopefully, it won't take me another five years to convince James again.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Good stuff to read! Glad you're blogging again - send me an email to tell me new baby's name - I am so happy for you guys!!