Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pride and Joy

Yesterday was James' big day. His band played at the Kids Carnival at Wheeler Farm, which was a bigger deal than I thought it would be. There were a lot of people there! He was so nervous but everything turned out really well. Once they started playing, I just sat there and beamed. I was so proud of James. He has such an amazing talent. He was a little critical of his own performance, but I don't think the average person could tell when he messed up. (I only noticed once myself, and that was only because he stopped playing for a minute to let the rest of the band catch up; if he wouldn't have stopped, I never would have known.)


One of the songs they played was Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Pride and Joy." The singer even told the crowd that this song "featured" James on guitar; it really is his song. Here's one of the solos from it:
(Disclaimer: James wants me to make sure everyone watching this knows that the tone is crappy and that he didn't do it on purpose. He accidentally left a pedal on and didn't realize it until the song was over. He keeps saying, over and over, "It sounds like I was trying to sound like Cream, not SRV." And I keep telling him, over and over, "I promise nobody could tell the difference. You sounded great.")


There really isn't much in the way of Little Man news today. He was very good yesterday, considering that he only got one 45 minute nap yesterday afternoon, instead of the usual two 2 hour naps. He also ate more last night than I have ever seen him eat. Normally, you have to do all sorts of tricks and sound effects to get him to look up and open his mouth for the spoon. Last night, he gobbled up all of his cereal, half a container of carrots, plus half a thing of applesauce with no tricks required, then nursed. Needless to say, he slept very well last night!

Daddy and Little Man in their hats:
My little (slobbery) heartbreaker:

2 comments:

Bryanna Johnson said...

James, you did an awesome job yesterday!

Rose said...

James you did a terrific job yesterday. So sorry Cllayton couldn't make it. He was realy looking forward to it. We will make it down to one of your upcoming events and hear you and your band. Nothing would give us more joy than to able to support you in your interests and encourage you to continue to pursue your dreams. I told Tiffany yesterday that I was sure you were being harder on yourself than anyone else would be, when you thought you screwed up. I suppose no one else even noticed. Just relax and enjoy the experience. Love ya both. Love Mom